Knowing how to change a wheel is one of the minor things that are not really complicated to do, but you have to know the different steps to follow. This may well save you a lot of hassle in a difficult situation. We will explain in this article detail by detail each step to follow in order to do this properly on your Nissan Altima.
First of all, it is very important to put on your yellow vest if you are close to the road, and also to position your warning triangle about 25-30 meters before your Nissan Altima. Also remember to turn on your warnings before changing wheels.
Different steps to change a wheel:
- 1: First, make sure your Nissan Altima is on a suitable floor. This requires that you should ideally position your car on a solid and flat surface. If you have no choice in terms of soil strength, try to find something to keep in place your vehicle, such as bricks or boards. In this case, pay close attention to the stability of your Nissan Altima, do not take any risks. Also remember to make use of the hand brake.
- 2: To lift the car with the jack, it will first be very important to remove the hubcap and slightly unscrew the bolts. Turn them counter-clockwise. Do not take away them just loosen them, using the equipment you have in the trunk with the spare wheel. Normally you should have a cross or a release key.
- 3: Now you must position the jack to just a little lift your Nissan Altima. Try to place it close to the wheel to be replaced. Be cautious though, your jack must be very steady. Now use the jack to lift your vehicle. Remember to lift until this wheel no longer touches the ground, get more space if you replace a punctured wheel because a new one will take up more space on your Nissan Altima.
- 4: Once the wheel is in suspension, it is time to completely remove the bolts. Once done, you can take out the wheel to be changed. Then position the new wheel instead. You can tighten the bolts by hand only. You will tighten with the cross when the wheel is on the ground, do not force them too hard, you could damage your Nissan Altima.
- 5: Once you have tightened everything up, it is now time to put your Nissan Altima down. Do this carefully, take your time. Now that the car is on the ground, you can tighten the bolts using the equipment. Also, do not overtighten.
- 6: You can easily now replace the hubcap and store all your equipment in your trunk, your Nissan Altima is now ready to go again.
So you can see that it is quite easy to replace a wheel. Just be careful to set the decor correctly (beacon, vest…) and position your Nissan Altima in the best conditions. Same for the jack, check it is really stable, and at no time for any reason position yourself under the car. It could very well be possible at any time for the jack to fail so be careful.If you wish more tutorials on the Nissan Altima, go to our Nissan Altima category.